If you are considering opting your child out of standardized testing, the resources below will assist you. They’ll help you understand what tests are administered in CPS, what your rights are, how to opt out, and where to find support for your decision.
* CPS Department of Student Assessment – provides calendar of assessments, but for information about what tests are given in your child’s school, it’s best to consult your child’s teacher and/or principal.
* Quick Guide to CPS Tests – Fact Sheet from PURE (Parents United for Responsible Education) that helps decipher some of the jargon from the CPS Department of Student Assessment
* Legal issues for Chicago families – Fact Sheet from PURE (Parents United for Responsible Education)
* Commonly Asked Questions About Opting Out – From Yinzercation, a grassroots movement in Pittsburgh committed to great public schools for all students.
* Universal opt-out letter written by More Than a Score Chicago
* Sample opt out letters that have been submitted to CPS principals
* To discuss opting out with other Chicago parents, join the Opt Out Chicago Facebook group.